Mark E. Neithercut has more than 25 years of experience working with foundations and individual donors to increase the impact and effectiveness of their philanthropy.
As founder and principal of Neithercut Philanthropy Advisors (NPA), Mr. Neithercut leads a team of professionals that provide a back-office, outsourced solution for small and medium sized foundations. NPA also serves as an advisor to foundations to help them clarify their mission, develop sound grantmaking strategies, and improve administrative operations.
At present, NPA manages the operations of the Margaret Dunning Foundation, the Holtzman Wildlife Foundation, and the Donald R. and Esther Simon Foundation.
In the last two years, NPA has also provided advisory support to:
- Ralph L. & Winifred E. Polk Foundation
- The Jamie and Denise Jacob Family Foundation
- The Community Foundation of Greater Flint
- The Riverfront Conservancy
- The Posner Foundation of Pittsburgh
- The Kansas Health Foundation
- Anonymous donor’s $10 million gift to his alma mater
A list of the firm’s clients since inception can be found here.
In addition, Neithercut Philanthropy Advisors has played a leadership role in planning and launch of the $150 million New Economy Initiative for Southeast Michigan, the $30 million GROW Healthy Kansas program, and the $1 million Community Foundation Challenge – Emergency Food & Shelter.
- Vice President Program, Community Foundation of Southeast Michigan
- Program Officer, The Kresge Foundation
- Associate Professor (Research), Adjunct Professor Geography and Urban Planning, and Director Michigan Metropolitan Information Center, Wayne State University
- Assistant Professor, University of Alabama
- Advisory Board, Groundwork Center for Resilient Community, Traverse City, Michigan
- Senior Advisory Committee, Norte Youth Cycling, Traverse City, Michigan
- Trustee, Anna Paula Foundation, Flint, Michigan
Former Member of:
- Issues Advisory Committee, National Center for Family Philanthropy
- Professional Development Committee, Membership Committee, and Community Foundation Leadership Team, Council on Foundations
- Public Policy Committee, Council of Michigan Foundation
- Board of Trustees, Detroit Institute of Arts
- Board of Directors, Cranbrook Schools
- Board of Directors, National Network of Consultants to Grantmakers
- Detroit Advisory Committee, James and John Knight Foundation
- Chairman, Aspen Institute’s Michigan Nonprofit Research Program
- Chairman, Detroit Area Grantmakers
- President, the Grosse Pointe Club
- Ph.D. in Environmental History/Historical Geography and Doctoral Fellow, University of British Columbia
- M.A., Michigan State University
- B.A. with High Honors in History, Phi Beta Kappa and James Angell Scholar, University of Michigan
- International Schoolboy Fellow, Cranleigh School, Cranleigh, Surrey, England
Mark lives in Traverse City, Michigan, with his wife, Helen, a jewelry designer and horticultural specialist. He is an avid fly fisherman, art collector, and cyclist.